Earlier this year I started to study the history of Ireland and the Celtic people, including Wales, Scotland, Basques and the Picts. The more I studied, the more I became intrigued by the rich cultural heritage, strong characteristics of the people and their legends and beliefs. Then I found myself engrossed in Mediaeval history, castles, weapons… It’s been fun!
If you are a fantasy, paranormal, romance or historical writers, you will find a generous helping of inspiration on these pages. Please also explore the sites these pages belong to for more information.
Nature Worship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_nature_worship
Other Worlds: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/ffcc/ffcc260.htm
The Pale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pale
Sacred Groves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_grove
Cult of the Severed Head: http://www.celticheritage.co.uk/articles_headcult.cfm
Resources on Castles
These links will will assist you in designing and writing about your own. Some of the information is introductory level. The free Project Gutenberg books should be very helpful.
- An extensive and detailed list of Medieval weapons with images:
- Medieval Warfare: http://www.medievalwarfare.info/
- Castles of the World: http://www.castles.org
- The History and Design of Medieval Castles: http://www.medieval-castle.com
- Life in a Medieval Castle: http://www.castlewales.com/life.html
- Castle Design and Floor Plans: http://medievalcastles.stormthecastle.com/castle-floor-plans.htm
- Exploring Castles: http://www.exploring-castles.com/castle_designs.html
- Castle Defences: http://www.castles-of-britain.com/defenses.htm
- Portchester Castle Defences: http://www.portchestercastle.co.uk/fortsdefs.html
- Towers and Ramparts: http://www.warwick-castle.com/explore-castle/towers-and-ramparts.aspx
- The Battle Castle TV Series: http://battlecastle.tv
- The Medieval Knight (introductory): http://library.thinkquest.org/10949/fief/medknight.html
- Knights Templar, Knights Teutonic and Knights Hospitallers can be reached from: http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/teutonic-knights.htm
- Teutonic Order from the Catholic Encyclopaedia: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14541b.htm
- The Official Site for the Knights Hospitallers: http://www.theknightshospitallers.org
- The History of the Knights Templars, the Temple Church, and the Temple by Addison, Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38593
- Windsor Castle, by William H. Ainsworth, Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2866
- The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights by Knowles and Malory, Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12753
What you are up against when storming a castle, thanks to Horrible Histories.
This article / blog post is Copyright Cate Russell-Cole 2013. All rights are reserved Internationally. You may not reproduce it in any form, in part of whole, without Cate’s prior written permission. That includes usage in forms such as print, audio and digital imaging including pdf, jpg, png etc. A fee may be requested for re-using her work if it is for a commercial venture. Link sharing and Pinterest pins are most welcome as long as Cate is the attributed Author.
No images on this blog may be copied, captured, or altered for your own purpose without the consent of the originating owner.