This post is going to be an ongoing directory of promotional communities and directories for bloggers.
I have been slowly bookmarking various communities and directories for bloggers as I have been reading through other people’s blogs. It’s a frustrating process, particularly when you dimly remember there was a badge you wanted to check out and you can’t remember where it is, or the source code behind the badge doesn’t work! So I wanted to put everything I have found together in one spot so everyone interested can benefit.
Please add to this page: if you know of a directory / community / blog only search engine I have missed, please let me know in the comments and I will check it out and add it. I moderate all comments to reduce spam, so it won’t appear instantly.
P.S. I found this great picture of Rosie the Blogger on Pinterest. I have no idea of it’s source, so if you know, please tell me so I can attribute it properly. It’s brilliant! March 13th, finally found the original image source (minus the laptop and blogging graphics) thanks to Critters and Crayons on Pinterest. She was originally Rosie the Riveter, a U.S. cultural image representing the American women who worked in factories. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_the_Riveter
All the links below will open in a new window to take you to the page, plus I have left them in text form so you can print this post off or save it as a .pdf Please note: I don’t use all these services, so I don’t know if they are good or bad. Use is solely at your own risk.
A word of wisdom, many of these directories want to know what your RSS feed is for your site. If you don’t know, try RSS include. https://www.rssinclude.com/
If you want to promote your site, you need as many options as possible: join by email, allow WordPress and Blogger Follow buttons, RSS feed, Networked Blogs, Google Friend Connect. Everything you can get your hands on. The more ways you have to connect, the more followers you will get. I get so frustrated when I see email sign up only on blogs. I need more options! My email is too cluttered for posts to be noticed.
Don’t forget to add your Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google + and other social networking details so people can find you. It all helps. I know it looks scary, but many of these options are just copy and paste their code. You don’t have to be a web developer.
- Triberr: (Wants money/bones for you to make connections.) You collect Karma points here. http://triberr.com/
- Bloggers: This community is thriving! http://bloggers.com/
- We Blog: Blogging Community on Facebook that shares posts freely http://www.facebook.com/groups/240976049268613/
- Compassion Bloggers: partnering with bloggers to help children (Christian initiative) http://compassionbloggers.com/get-involved
- Blog Catalogue: for reading and promoting http://www.blogcatalog.com/
- The Blog Frog: http://theblogfrog.com/
- She’s Connected Social Networking Site are advertising that they do blog promotion. Haven’t tried it yet. http://www.shesconnected.com/
- Love All Blogs: http://loveallblogs.com/
- Add Your Blog: http://www.addyourblog.com/suggest-listing.php
- Blogalicious: this is a blog promoting other bloggers with new posts on Wednesdays. Takes ages to come up in my browser, but it’s a treasure trove! http://blogaliciousblogs.blogspot.com.au/
- Review’d: similar to what I am doing here. http://reviewd.blogspot.com.au/ They are also on Facebook.
- Fuel My Blog: add their widget to your blog to get votes. http://www.fuelmyblog.com They want bloggers as reviewers too, so look for opportunities there.
- You Say Too: “boost your revenue, exposure and readership.” http://www.yousaytoo.com/
- Buzzerhut: will list your web site and/or blog but… you have to have their widget on your site and I can’t get mine to work on WordPress. I have emailed them for help. If I hear back, I’ll let you know. Blogger sites should be no problem at all. http://www.buzzerhut.com/
- Bloggapedia: http://www.bloggapedia.com/ (Appears to have ceased operation as of September 2012.)
- Top Blog Area: with free blog tools and statistics. http://www.topblogarea.com/
- Blog Hub: http://www.bloghub.com/
- BlogNotions: only takes technology, marketing, business and industry blogs. http://www.blognotions.com/
- Liquida: you can submit a blog here. http://www.liquida.com/
- Blog Carnival: Submit a blog entry. http://blogcarnival.com/bc/
- Promote Blog Commercial Service: http://promote-blog.com/ (This link is only here as a courtesy as they retweeted my post. Personally, I don’t pay for services. That is your decision. I have no experience with them so don’t know what the quality of their service is like, neither am I responsible in any way for your use of their service or what occurs from your use of theirs: it is at your own risk. It is your decision. I am not liable for your experience with this business or any other services/people/users behind the links on this blog. Isn’t it sad that we now have to put in disclaimers like this. Let’s build a friendlier world and treat each other with decency and respect.)
- Blog Engage: another commercial service I haven’t used. http://www.blogengage.com/blogger/
- Add your blog posts to sites such as Stumble Upon, Reddit, Digg etc and set your blog to have the share buttons available so others can add your pages.
- Says Her: A Women’s Blog and Twitter Search Engine, http://saysher.com/
- On Top List Blog Directory http://www.ontoplist.com/blog-directory/
- Devotional Christian Blogs: http://devotionalchristian.com/blogs/
- Faithful Bloggers (Christian): http://faithfulbloggers.com/
Other Interesting Publishing and Promotion Ideas
- Scoop It allows you to publish web magazines which you can use for promoting your work in an attractive manner. This is a cost for use service. http://www.scoop.it/
- Paperli offers a similar service where you can promote your work or web pages you wish to pass on, in the form of a newspaper. http://paper.li/ I have had my tweets published in other people’s papers, which has given me promotion. I am unsure if there is a cost. The site was down for maintenance when I checked it.
Responsible Web Users
Take the pledge and add a Blog With Integrity badge to your site. http://www.blogwithintegrity.com/
If you are sick of spammers, hackers and weirdos on the web, you may also like to join the Pledge Of Responsible Social Media Users on Causes. http://www.causes.com/causes/570107-pledge-of-responsible-social-media-users They have a badge, which again isn’t WordPress friendly. It will be fine on Blogger.